By Dimitri Cherny, special to Charleston Currents | What one or two things could the federal government do to make your life better?
That’s the question I’ve been asking everyone I meet on my www.BIKINGtheLowcountry.us adventure. I’ve now traveled, by bike or canoe, more than 550 miles over 47 days and asked hundreds of people that question. We’re a very diverse group here in the Lowcountry — racially, ethnically, religiously, politically, ideologically, economically, educationally, and of all ages. But after asking this question of hundreds of people, we ALL seem to agree on five things.
1. Universal single-payer healthcare.
2. Quality debt-free public education.
3. Strengthening Social security.
4. Improving the veteran’s support system,
5. Getting money out of politics.