S.C. Encyclopedia

Klansmen in a 1922 photo from Virginia.

HISTORY: Ku Klux Klan

S.C. Encyclopedia | The Ku Klux Klan was a paramilitary organization formed during Reconstruction to oppose the Republican Party and restore white supremacy in the South.

by · 07/13/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY:  Gov. David Beasley

HISTORY: Gov. David Beasley

S.C. Encyclopedia | David Muldrow Beasley was born in Lamar on February 26, 1957, the son of Richard and Jacqueline Beasley. He graduated from Lamar High School in 1975 and attended Clemson University from 1976 to 1978. He transferred to the University of South Carolina in 1979 after being elected to the S.C. House of Representatives at the age of twenty-two. He received his undergraduate degree in 1979 and his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1983. He married Mary Wood Payne on June 18, 1988. They have three children.

by · 06/29/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
"Mother" Emanuel AME Church, Charleston, S.C.

HISTORY: African Methodist Episcopal Church

S.C. Encyclopedia | To escape racial discrimination in Philadelphia’s Methodist Church, Richard Allen, a former slave, organized the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church there in 1787. It is the oldest African American religious denomination and existed mainly in the North before the Civil War.

by · 06/22/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
Etchings from an 1880 magazine.

HISTORY: Ever wonder why it’s called Ashley PHOSPHATE Road?

S.C. Encyclopedia | The South Carolina phosphate mining industry began after the Civil War and dominated world production in the 1880s. Mining began in late 1867 on plantations near Charleston after the gentlemen-scientists Francis S. Holmes and St. Julien Ravenel and the chemists N. A. Pratt and C. U. Shepard discovered that local “stinking stones” contained unusually high amounts of bone phosphate of lime (BPL).

by · 06/15/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY:  All Saints Parish

HISTORY: All Saints Parish

S.C. Encyclopedia | Established on March 16, 1778, All Saints Parish comprised the Waccamaw Neck of what came to be Horry and Georgetown Counties. In 1721 the peninsula became part of Prince George Winyah Parish, but separated from the rest of the parish by the Waccamaw River, it remained isolated and sparsely settled for decades. Because they could only reach […]

by · 06/08/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
A reenactment at the Ninety Six National Historic Site.

HISTORY: Battles of Ninety Six

Battles of Ninety Six: Situated in the South Carolina backcountry at the crossroads of important trade routes, Ninety Six was a newly established courthouse town on the eve of the Revolutionary War. The question of independence deeply divided the inhabitants of the district.

by · 05/25/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
An historical image of  Jasper raising the battle flag of the colonial forces over present-day Fort Moultrie on June 28, 1776 during the Battle of Sullivan's Island.

HISTORY: Sgt. William Jasper

Little is known of Revolutionary War Sgt. William Jasper’s origins. Traditionally he has been identified as Irish, but others have argued that he was of German ancestry.

by · 05/18/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
Mays

HISTORY: Dr. Benjamin Mays

Civil rights activist, writer and college president Benjamin Elijah Mays was born on August 1, 1894, in rural South Carolina near Rambo in Edgefield County (now Epworth in Greenwood County).

by · 05/11/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY:  Historic Charleston Foundation

HISTORY: Historic Charleston Foundation

Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF) sprang from the activities of the Carolina Art Association. In 1941 the association began a survey of historic buildings in Charleston, published in 1944 as This Is Charleston.

by · 05/04/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
Redcliffe Plantation, now a state historic site.

HISTORY: Redcliffe

Constructed between 1857 and 1859, Redcliffe was the homeplace of South Carolina Governor James Henry Hammond and three generations of his descendants. Located in western Aiken County near Beech Island, Redcliffe served as an architectural and horticultural showplace, as well as the center of domestic life for the Hammond family. By 1860 it functioned primarily as a headquarters for Hammond’s extensive cotton plantations, which were sustained by more than three hundred slaves.

by · 04/28/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia