S.C. Encyclopedia

HISTORY:  The New Deal (part 2)

HISTORY: The New Deal (part 2)

S.C. Encyclopedia (part 2 of 2) | Aiding the National Recovery Administration (NRA) in effecting business recovery was the Public Works Administration (PWA), which stimulated purchases in construction and related industries such as steel, cement, and lumber. In South Carolina the PWA was synonymous with the construction of public housing at University Terrace, Gonzales Gardens, and Calhoun Court in Columbia and Cooper River Court, Meeting Street Manor, and Anson Borough Homes in Charleston, eighty-seven schools and ten city halls and courthouses across the state, and massive hydroelectric projects at Buzzard Roost in Greenwood County and Santee Cooper in the Lowcountry.

by · 12/14/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY:  The New Deal

HISTORY: The New Deal

S.C. Encyclopedia, part one of two| The New Deal was a collection of federal programs enacted between 1933 and 1939 to solve the problems created by the Great Depression. In South Carolina the New Deal brought three R’s: recovery for farmers, bankers, textile mill owners, and small businessmen; relief for the unemployed and destitute; and reform in labor-management relations, banking, sale of securities, and retirement. In the process the New Deal radically increased the role of the federal government in the state’s economy by creating permanent acreage allotment programs, agricultural credit, compulsory minimum wage / maximum hours requirements, protection for laborers who sought to unionize, Social Security benefits, a public welfare system, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to protect depositors, the Federal Housing Administration to expand housing opportunities, and the Rural Electrification Administration to electrify the countryside.

by · 12/07/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY: Voorhees College

HISTORY: Voorhees College

S.C. Encyclopedia | Located in Denmark, Voorhees College is a four-year liberal arts undergraduate institution. Founded in 1897 by Elizabeth Evelyn Wright and Jessie Dorsey, the school was first known as the Denmark Industrial School and was based on Booker T. Washington’s Tuskegee Institute. Wright was Washington’s protégée and had determined that she wanted to “be the same type of woman as Mr. Washington was of a man.” On graduation she set out for South Carolina to develop a second Tuskegee.

by · 11/30/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY: Josephine Lyons Scott Pinckney

HISTORY: Josephine Lyons Scott Pinckney

S.C. Encyclopedia | Josephine Pinckney was born January 25, 1895, at Charleston into a family long prominent in the state’s history. She was a direct descendant of Eliza Lucas Pinckney and Governor Thomas Pinckney.

by · 11/23/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY: Operation Lost Trust

HISTORY: Operation Lost Trust

S.C. Encyclopedia | Operation Lost Trust was arguably South Carolina’s largest and longest-running political scandal. Including the investigation, trials, and retrials, the Operation Lost Trust saga extended from 1989 to 1999.

by · 11/16/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY:  Allendale County, S.C.

HISTORY: Allendale County, S.C.

S.C. Encyclopedia | Formed in 1919, Allendale is South Carolina’s youngest county, yet it contains the oldest known human habitation in the state. Archaeological investigations in Allendale have found evidence of human settlement dating back more than sixteen thousand years. These prehistoric people used “Allendale Chert” in making stone tools.

by · 11/09/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY: Boykin Spaniel

HISTORY: Boykin Spaniel

S.C. Encyclopedia | The Boykin spaniel was originally bred in South Carolina before the 1920s. This amiable, small, dark brown retriever is a superb hunter and loving family pet. It was bred to provide an ideal dog for hunting fowl in the swamps along the Wateree River, which demanded a sturdy, compact dog built for boat travel and capable of retrieving on land or water.

by · 11/02/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY: Walterboro, S.C.

HISTORY: Walterboro, S.C.

S.C. Encyclopedia | Just after the Revolutionary War, rice planters along the Edisto, Combahee, and Ashepoo Rivers, tired of an annual summer jaunt of fifty miles to Charleston, created an alternate refuge from the malarial swamps closer to home. By the 1790s, among local forests and freshwater springs, they built a village of about twenty log houses, which they called Walterboro, after two brothers whose retreat was prominent among them.

by · 10/26/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY: Edisto Island

HISTORY: Edisto Island

S.C. Encyclopedia | Located between the mouths of the North and South Edisto Rivers south of Charleston, Edisto Island is a Lowcountry Sea Island of approximately sixty-eight square miles. The island is shielded from the Atlantic Ocean by Edisto Beach, a barrier island municipality contained in Colleton County and linked to Edisto Island by a causeway.

by · 10/19/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia
HISTORY:  Granby, S.C.

HISTORY: Granby, S.C.

S.C. Encyclopedia | Situated at the head of navigation of the Congaree River, Granby was among the first important trading posts in the South Carolina interior. The town originated as a large Indian village on Congaree Creek.

by · 10/12/2015 · Comments are Disabled · Features, S.C. Encyclopedia